Monday, November 11, 2013

Mexican Fiestaaaa!

Hola!
Just kidding, I don't speak Spanish. But I sure do love Mexican food! That is why the first post in my blog is going to be dedicated to one of my favorite dishes, Creamy Verde Enchiladas.

But seriously, Hello! Welcome to my blog! I am a college student who loves to try new recipes and tweak old ones. I rarely follow a recipe, and I encourage you to do the same (except with baking, use the recipe or weird things can happen there). Obviously, I love to lick the bowl, even better than I love the finished product. I don't cook for myself, I cook for the satisfaction of the people I love who enjoy my food. That is why I wanted to start this blog, to share the recipes that bring my family together. So I hope you enjoy and return! Maybe one day you will return to my blog and see that I have posted my famous recipe for my Chocolate Chocolate Coffee Chocolate Cookies :)

But back to those enchiladas! This is a recipe that I created (scary, right?!). I couldn't find a recipe that I liked for homemade enchiladas so I decided to create one! These are really flavorful and creamily delicious!




The cast of characters in this play:

And here's the recipe!
Creamy Verde Enchiladas

1 ½ Shredded chicken (you can bake or boil the chicken but I’m all for easy so I like to use a rotisserie chicken)
1 medium onion, diced
Half of a Jalapeno pepper, diced
One clove of garlic, minced
½ stick butter, unsalted
1 clove of garlic, minced
5 Tbs flour
2 cups Chicken broth
½ cup heavy cream
1 can green chilies, diced
1-cup sour cream
1-cup salsa Verde
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Cumin
¼ tsp smoked paprika
¾ cup Monterey Jack, shredded
¼ cup Cilantro
8-10 medium flour tortillas


In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the diced onion and jalapeno and cook them until they are tender. Add the garlic and stir. Add flour and stir. Gradually add chicken broth until well incorporated.  Add heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Add the green chilies to the sauce, and then add both the sour cream and salsa Verde to the sauce. Add spices, then taste the sauce and adjust the spices if needed. Gradually add the shredded cheese. 

After the cheese melts, add enough sauce to a bowl and mix with your chicken. Warm your tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Take a tortilla and spread some chicken mixture in the middle. Sprinkle some Monterey jack on top and roll the tortilla up. Place seam side down in the pan. Repeat until there is no more room in the pan and the chicken mixture is gone. Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas and spread it out. Bake in a 375ยบ oven for 20-30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I break down and create my own recipes too, especially when I can't find a recipe that matches what I THINK should be in something! :-)
    This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete